Thursday, January 05, 2012

Badjaos in Cebu

I arrived at Cebu last January 3 and was surprised by the development of badjaos that were waiting in the harbour. I remembered that badjaos had to paddle their boat to catch up with the ship. For those who did not know, the badjaos' way of earning is diving for coins underwater. These coins were thrown by the incoming ship's passenger.

Anyway, what I'm really amazed at was that the badjaos doesn't do paddling anymore. Their boat comes equipped with motors already! I was amazed really because they can afford it with their meager source of income.

Here is the video I recorded during the docking of the ship. What didn't changed though was that they still carry their babies on the boat while doing their work. Kinda dangerous for the kids, isn't it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment